Saturday, April 05, 2008

many, many

There hasn't been much honest word on this blog now. I had decided not to talk about myself, my life etc. I've got smallish job assignments- to write for a website, to make up an art class, to do some dancing for parties and the writing which I thought would be the easiest of the lot hasn't been happening. I guess not talking about myself results in silence. I'm no writer. I don't write about the weather (not that writers do, but they can, I mean they can write about anything or are supposed to.) I can write about me and things that begin or end, or cut or touch, or you know bother ME. So, I'm back to talking about what I ate today, how I think silence is music and John Cage can do what he wants, how Star TV's employees party and how I have loads to write as work.

Among many, many things that have passed in this period, one of the noteworthy would be the discussion that sprang in theory class last week. All big discussions according to Chamki's third law of commotion are caused by asking very, very simple questions. What is dance? What is not dance? movement? what about non- movement? So if the lights come on in an auditorium and a person walks on to stage and stays still for 12 mins is that a dance performance? Is movement really movement if there is no stillness? Is stillness movement if there is no movement? Well, I'm not going to discuss this here. The point of telling you this is that my Yoga teacher walked in on this conversation where he heard Yours Truly saying "Krushnaa, Silence is also music is what he was trying to say, or hear the silence. Probably making a statement". Of course, this hit him with the magnitude of a derogatory statement made against his religion, or even more than that. A few sentences later he can't hear me. He said a few things, I don't remember much- How can you say that? Check the dictionary only sound can be music. And then he got hotter and hotter like a little school boy fighting to justify and said I should get myself checked for saying such shit in class. Now, under normal circumstances I would take stuff like this as a joke and laugh it off but the words echoed like they had been said too often to me. I don't know why it should even bother me that another person who doesn't think like me would want me to be observed and solved, corrected in many ways. I know I'm no extra ordinary thinker revolutionizing man's point of view so I cannot bare is how these men, slightly older of age and possessors of scantier hair think it their birth right to jut into conversation and make judgemental propositions. Why can't people remember the subject of the bloody conversation. Anyway, it sent me blood boiling straight out of class and out of college. I was stopped by, well, what can you call her... She's just like one of the many, many nuns in a convent, no real designation but generally is everyone's mother, so I told her what happened and she smiled. You know Divya, there will be many, many people in your life who don't understand your point of view (thank you for blessing me with such favourable surroundings) and you just have to deal with them.
The next day, I was half expecting Yoga Sir, to show up with a printout of the definition of music from Wiki or better still from the Child Craft series. But there was just silence. musical.
I guess he read this on wiki
The definition of music is a contested evaluation of what constitutes music and varies through history, geography, and within societies. Definitions vary as music, like art, is a subjectively perceived phenomenon. Its definition has been tackled by philosophers, lexicographers, composers, teachers, semioticians or semiologists, linguists, scientists, and musicians.

Virgo Horoscope

(Aug 23 - Sep 22)

Saturday, Apr 5th, 2008 -- You will probably say what's on your mind now, even if you aren't being socially or politically correct. You can surprise others with your position, but don't waste time worrying about what anyone else thinks. As long as you act with kindness and integrity, you're not responsible for how others react. Nevertheless, you can be compassionate without becoming codependent.

3 comments:

  1. To add to your 'smallish job assignments' - making visiting cards... which you've conveniently side-stepped. Tsk-tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i most definitely agree that silence is music....and i think it takes a certain kind of person to see that. the yoga dude is obviously not able to think outside of his small, pathetic little box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chamki.
    The reason slightly older bald guys jut in on your conversations is that they're in love with you.
    Well, I'm just saying is all.
    If they jut in like the above guy in an obnoxious way, it's because they are insecure about the whole point they pretend to be trying to make in the first place.
    In my opinion you were right about the silence.
    Only a performer can understand this.
    It's almost a trade secret.
    Silence can be music just as much as sound.
    Perhaps even more so because silence underlies sound.
    "Pipe to the spirit ditties of no tone," as John Keats said.
    The greatest performers can make the silence sing for them.
    The imagination of the audience becomes our instrument.
    What say you?
    James

    ReplyDelete

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.