Saturday, January 12, 2008

Rs. 10 extra, or one and a half meter?

Well.. I was very determined to make this post about the insensitivity I've been noticing around myself these days. No, its not the endangered species, state of stray dogs, women... its about Autorickshaw drivers in Bangalore. Yesterday was a strike, hardly! They refuse to take you where you want to go 92% of the time on regular days so the strike was more of a relief. One expected them to pose outside malls like Kannada film heroes and thats exactly what they did- some with newspapers, bidis , cell phones and etcs. We waited outside Forum mall 'patiently observing' their attitude for about an hour and a half. At 6pm when the strike was officially over I declared that an ambulance would be a cheaper and more effective way of reaching home safe. I don't know how these guys live with themselves night after night having earned money begging for it and almost pulling it out of people's pockets. How they form a breed of people so similar in ethics amazes me. I'm really curious what makes them all want to drain money from the other person. I'm sure there must be some reason. I'd like a dictaphone to do some interviews. Where do they think the money in my bag comes from? Is it really boring riding around the city silent? Is that why they want to negotiate money or have an argument? The last guy who asked me where I wanted to go and pretended that the answer would matter got an exciting reply- I told him I would like to go to his house and beat the shit out of him in front of his wife. I don't want to be saying things like this man, but thats how frustrated you get with them. I'd like to discover this one place, just one where every auto driver would like to go, some kind of paradise?
But the post, sadly, is not about this kind of insensitivity. Its about the sweet things that travel from my brain into your kitchen through the imaginary chimney on the left. Its about me unable to receive text messages missing rehearsal for a play I'm currently involved in. Its about walking in an autorickshaw who finally agreed to go to Mantri Classic in the dark corners of Bangalorian universe with 2 slippers on and walking out with just one of them. The other one slipped out when no one was watching, escaping the burden of its existence. And... its about fame:
Hi,
We would like to extend an invite to you for Barkha's show, 'We the People' for this Saturday (12/01). The show is on the blogging culture in India. Largely, discussing the New Brave World Of Blogs. How something that was supposed to be a personal diary has now become a social phenomenon. What kind of influence do blogs have? Do we need an authority to govern and monitor blogs? and more...

We would be highly obliged if you could please take out some time and join us for the show in Delhi on Saturday.

Your views on the subject are of great value. Please let us know if this is possible.
Thank you

Dxxxxx Sxxxxxxx

yours quirky alone,
chamki

2 comments:

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.