Wednesday, January 07, 2009

And the Lord said, " He who needs you will call again."

We've all thought about it. Every time we leave our homing devices behind or lose the damn things. I'm talking about cellphones. To me it sounds pretty cool, you know, life without a cell phone. The unreachable is rare and exclusive at a time when everyone is trying to make themselves more googleable. But I don't think its possible to live without a cellphone once you've got one. Its your identity, the way to reach you directly (without your mother blurting out that you are still sleeping when you had to be in office.) it saves a lot of trouble.
I left my cellphone on a trip. At first, I was severely affected by the loss, much like the loss of a boyfriend suddenly I didn't know what I was doing, where I was going and had huge amounts of time to spend with myself. I could stand aimlessly in the middle of a street and be nowhere, because nobody knew where I was. I was made comfortable by a friend who found the phone and said he would give it to me. Two weeks later the phone is still with him, I haven't even bothered to get it back. Life's great without a cellphone (contrary to what I first thought.) It gives you a great sense of being here and now. I don't have people calling me from far away places. Far away places seem far away. Once you get out of a room, you leave the people there and meet new people in another room. Nothing carries along with you. No one can call you up and change the way you are going. If you are in a rickshaw on the way to someplace that's exactly where you are and where your mind is. You're not concerned with a friends party,the Irish crossword or the service provider's new set of ringtones. Of course you'll lose out on last minute money making opportunities, the convenience of a torch light in the dark and will have to use the pay phone or other people's cellphones once in a while but that's a small price to pay and a larger decision to make about the limited hard disc in your brain and the amount of pointless information hitting it. Don't forget the annoying ringtones.
the number you have dialed is currently switched off,
Amen.

3 comments:

  1. i have made attempts to throw away my phone on several instances but it seems to have some way off getting stuck to my hand....damn leash...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. well usually make attempts to loose me but some how get eventually replaced - in an ideal world I wouldn't have one - at the moment I cant help it

    ReplyDelete
  3. called, mailed, messaged and why the lord chose not to answer?

    ReplyDelete

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.