Monday, May 07, 2007

The Story of me.

On the 23rd of August in the year 1986 when I was born, the Pandit said "Dramatic people should have big names" and I was named Divyavibha Sharma. (I hated my name. It wasn't Divya or Vibha, or something cooler.) I never understood what the connection was. Clearly at 5 feet 3, I'm not dramatically big or exciting. At most stores I needed to hop through the kids section till a few months back. Anyhoo, I must quickly get to the long story I want to narrate. Today, 7th May 2007, 20 years later, was supposed to be my last college exam. An exceptionally calm morning it was, I made scrambled eggs for breakfast, read the newspaper, picked a parcel I needed to courier, even shampooed my hair after oiling. Exit stage left, cut to Sophia College Gate. As I pulled out my ID card to show the watchman, the sky darkened, thunder and lightening set the mood, angry violins screeched and bats flew by, I had forgotten my Hall Ticket at home.. for the benefit of my Irish readers a Hall Ticket is the little piece of paper that marks your destiny at a University examination. Pan right: shot of girl running in pink skirt with strawberries against the pink walls of the college. They said, "Which college are you from?"
I said, "This one."
They said, "Shouldn't be a problem then."
I believed it till I met Mrs. Meena who said
"What? You've given sooo many exams my child, this is not done. You must go back home and get it. I'll let you enter late and give you half an hour extra even. No no-no-no ... What if they find out, I'll be responsible, I can't do this!"
I said, "I live in Bandra! %#$@*% Its 1 hour away, 2 hours to go and come back."
She said, "This is a University examination, not your college exam. Show me your ID card."
(Enter John, the hammal with my ID card. Yes! I had dropped it somewhere.)
"What's this? What's Chamki? Why does it say Chamki?"
I said, "Ma'am, thats just a rubber stamp, my name is in pen- Divyavibha Sharma"
She said looking at my pink skirt, "You are too casual!"
and casual felt like an insult.
Cut to shot of teary eyed girl running away from Mrs. Meena towards PCO. I was out of calling credit!
"Papa, I've left the Hall ticket at home, get to college, its the bus stop after Jaslok Hospital."
Runn n n n n n n n n n
She said, "Sorry, can't enter without Hall Ticket"
I said, "Let me write, don't take my answer sheet if my Hall Ticket doesn't arrive." (somewhere I know James Bond smiled.)
She said, "Fair enough"

I fished through my bag to look for a pen. You know by now whats coming... yus yus, I didn't have a pen on me. Runn n n n n ...Pareen Bookshop. L.o.c.k.e.d. There were a some girls at the stairs of the Science Building.
I said desperate, "Can you give me a pen, I have my exam now and the bookshop is shut. Please!"

One red and silver, Kingfisher airlines ball point pen promptly appeared. It's a miracle!
2 and a half hours later I was the first person to leave because my brain and my hands were still run n n n n n ing top speed.

I might not get fantabulous marks but I know one thing for sure, I deserve to be called Divyavibha Sharma.

15 comments:

  1. My fav post for the week.Has to be. Life full of adventure you have :)


    My professors and invigilators love me for infamously arriving 30 to 45 mins late for each exam, without pen, sometimes.And considering i appeared perfectly fulfilling both conditions for one invigilated by Prof.Da Silva, he flashed the naughtiest, wicked-est smile ever.hell, don't mind, do I ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are amazing! You definitely deserve a long, exciting name! And you make me feel soooo old!
    I loved reading this, it felt like I was reading a book, an exotic one. ;)
    And that line "Somewhere I know James Bond smiled" - that is brilliant!!!! :))))
    Did you get my reading? Sent it to the yahoo e-mail. I'm curious to know if the other readings have things in common with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Devil mood, I have got your reading. I'm just going to put all the readings together and look at the common things. Right now I need to runn n n n n n and make some rotis!

    Roti is another Hindi word I teach you today. Its dough flattened and roasted, much like the french word for roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah! You scatterbrain, you. I forgot to take my admit card for the last ICSE exam. Some fright that was. But nothing so exciting happened. They let me give it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Vatsala.
    I feel more alive after reading it.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, rotis! :)
    Obviously you must've had little time with the exam and all...
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. u truly deserve to be called that....hencefort u will be refered to you as divyavibha and nothin else...

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!!
    oh wow ...how come my exams are never as exciting???
    and John came to ure rescue???Old truty John... theres sumthg endearing about John as ure Knight in shinning armour...whose mrs meena anyway???
    Congratulations...ure exmas are over

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chamki
    I tried to leave comment the other day...must have been a problem with my computer...it didn't take.

    But will try again,
    to let you know how I enjoyed this post

    The Amazing Adventures of Divyavibha Sharma...the girl who is quick on her feet and even quicker to find solutions in an uncertain and crazy world!

    by the way, can I borrow a pen?
    ;)

    Your name suites you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you random doodler.

    Aneesh, you must try to call me Divyavibha its almost a tongue twister. I have received many threats but no one calls me that. I'm only glad they don't.Besides no one can resist the charms of chamki and chamko rani.

    Jamieeeeeeeeeee! Thangyew.

    Bugs> life bugs honey :P Just wanted to say it again. Mrs. Meena is a science teacher who has grey hair and a soft voice. She tensed like a fish out of water at the news. I was only running and trying to figure things, while she was sweating and panicking. I panicked too.

    Thanks Jen. For someone who carries a huge (almost) bag full of stationery, not having a pen was some strange planetary alignment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and i thought this was an anonymous blog.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edge of the seat stuff, you have a way with Drama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i cann't believe you left home without a pen!!!
    *sign disapointedly*
    how did you journal on the way home~!?
    :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post! Great you managed to do it in the end. I remember when I left university after my last exam (maaaaaany years ago), I suddenly felt so empty and so... purposeless? I had no prospective job, didn't have a clue about what I was going to do next, just this big, huge empty space and time ahead of me! But eventually all turned out quite right in the end...

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree with what almost everyone has said. so like the divya i know.

    ReplyDelete

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.