Saturday, May 15, 2010

simply existing.

Slowly shedding layers of lycra track suits and stage make up after leaving the performance based dance company I realise dance is somewhere I find myself. One mind-body. The energy I use is my own. The floor could be the sand of the beach, the promenade next to the sea, the bathroom floor.In this non- dependency there is less ego or pride and more joy, of being a candle that burns to give its own light.
I'm glad my life's path has led me to dance, which in itself needs nothing else to survive. I don't need to dance. Nobody needs my dancing. It isn't a byproduct of civilisation.. of society.. like a lawyers job or a meat shop or a news reporter. The body moves. It is made to move, as much as it is made to be still. Energy flows. Energy transforms.
Dance doesn't need society, it doesn't need an audience. It is different from performance. It isn't out there to save anything, to resolve issues, solve problems, build, construst or even inspire. It is just there. A doctor needs his patients, he needs sickness to cure. All by himself, I don't know if a doctor remains a doctor. Just like the Police needs crime, mobs to control. An artist needs his pen and paper. A photographer needs his camera and his subject. A politician needs need. An activist needs need.
But dance, or the dancer, just needs existence, or life, or cosmos, or god, or shiva, may be just one moving atom or perhaps a well functioning body, but thats not true either. Dance is something like meditation is. Something that is. Its a process of feeling, or receiving and responding to energy, a tuning in. Like the song of the heart. Something very simple. Very basic.. that we all share.
Dance and meditation seems to be the way to live life wholly. . using fully everything we are born with,every little muscle, every little bone, every little artery, every layer of my being, all my energy, allowing everything around to inspire, move and pass through - avoiding nothing- simply existing.

6 comments:

  1. I appreciate your PO very much the picture with the article. Continues to refuel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that line "The body moves. It is made to move, as much as it is made to be still." My form of movement is through yoga. It is pure bliss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chamki mam u seem to have disappear or you have taken "sanyas" from this blog. You have not posted anything new since last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Were you at Nehru place today? I think I saw someone who looked like what I think you look like. then I came to your blog and saw that you are in Delhi..
    Ankita (Chini's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! yes I was!
    It was me!
    my god, this is strange. we've never met even.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is INcredibly strange! I'm not sure how i even recognised you!

    So what brings you to Delhi?

    ReplyDelete

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.