Monday, May 15, 2006

Thoughts in the train

The earth breathes. It has veins. I can see them light brownish ochre on the brown. The bushes stand like hair and fuzz my view. Little ponds slide by. Just another shade of brown.

Little mounts folded to mountains and some are flattened for dark coloured cows to graze. Flat land seems still. Rarely do I see another colour.

Inside the train, nothing is brown. All is blue. My jeans, my pencil case, pune aunty's blue dress and the blue curtains.

The big brown mountains remind me of the ones we saw on our way to bangalore. They always will remind me of them. Only they had huge white windmills too. Then they disappear. Drowned by the heavy thorny bushes.

A field spotted with patches of dirty white and brown and black. Two men with sticks and blue checked lungis guard these sheep. Then the voice distracts me. May be Nick Drake would have been better travel music than Shubha Mudgal's Hazaron Khwahishen Aisi.

Colour! My eyes wake up. There are people in greens, reds and oranges. Synthetic pinks, glossy florescent plastic , nitrogen packed food. Cookies in jars. Suitcases and men with tea in their hands. Wait. Wait on their faces. Are they waiting for Sharona? Muh muh muh muh My sharona!

Then again we start the train.Old Man with Nehru cap sleeps peacefully in the heart of the platform stairs. Feet on suitcase. Legs folded. Chits being opened. Tickets being checked. Hands on sweaty foreheads. But I miss all the action. I am just a spectator. Hand painted Billboards. Advertisements on houses. Spare rail tracks rest alongside. They begin and end.

Follow the electricity wires. But the sun tears your stare with its glare.

The man walking alone on the endless green stretch along the river makes me wonder about his wandering. Where is he going? Is he even going someplace? Why is he there? Isn't he quite like me? Not knowing where to go but going there anyway with hope in his suitcase.

Where I sit everything seems to be moving away from me. As if they belonged to me and now they are going away. I see them 0nly after they are not with me anymore. The sun has drowned and taken the browns with him. The blues and blacks now rule the sky. The windows hold the reflections of the talking ladies and me.

9 comments:

  1. i love this. so far, this is my favourite. i also wrote this one: 'where you sit in the train, you can either watch the world go away, or watch it come to you.' (not the exact words i had used)..... but it is pretty obvious. and i just love the descriptions. (yours)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you got too many typos. dumbass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what typos?
    oh no!
    i used that no good spell check and to be extra careful i pasted everything in word!
    I hate this !
    I have to do everything quickly wishing the electricity shouldnt go before i finish the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha ha
    i just realised i wrote lags instead of legs. May be its just the delhi accent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. scatterbrained idiot

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, i did not say that. and you know i dont use 'ur'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ya that has to be that heretoscrewyourday guy. Chuck him. ignore. Ill just delete the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nah wasent me .. i dont do such cheap stuff .. if u know me well enough ..

    ReplyDelete

Try not be anonymous, leave a cryptic initial.